Thursday, April 14, 2016

Eating More Vegetables



One of our goals this year has been to eat more veg. We eat a reasonable amount already, plenty of salad and vegetable sides with most meals. But we want to try eating vegetables in different ways to make it more interesting.

We've swapped our regular potato mash for sweet potato mash for a change. We've made more of some old favourites we don't have that often like cauliflower cheese and broccoli casserole. We've made soups, stews and curries mainly out of vegetables. So far we've eaten more veg than usual but I'd still like more ideas of unusual ways to eat them.

Here are a few things we've tried recently:

Beetroot chocolate cake - recipe!


Adding beetroot makes for a moister chocolate cake with a lovely depth of flavour. Cooking anything with beetroot is hazardous though because of the risk of staining everything red. :D It's not really a great way to eat more vegetables but I've always wanted to give it a try anyway!

Pea fritters - recipe!


We're already fans of sweetcorn fritters so I decided to give peas a chance. They're pretty tasty, especially dipped in mayo. I wonder what other veg can be frittered? Watch this space!

Mushroom Quesadillas - recipe!



Now, I hate mushrooms but JD really wanted to try these so we made them and I womaned up to give them a try! As we sauteed the huge pile of mushrooms they gave off a not horrible smell, so I felt optimistic that they might not be awful. Turns out, they're OK. Not delicious but not completely un-delicious either. The cheese helped but it was still the texture of mushrooms that put me off. I feel good about giving mushrooms a try, though I doubt it'll be a regular thing for me.

I've got more recipes to try but I still need more ideas. What's your favourite way to eat vegetables?

No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button