Thursday, March 1, 2018

Veg, Veg, Veg



Here I am again bemoaning the lack of exciting vegetables in our meals. The same as I did in 2016 apparently!

This time I'm determined to make an effort to fill our lives with healthy veggies in the most exciting ways possible. Or something like that anyway. Haha.

First, a story. When my Grandad Beadle (my Dad's Dad) died, I went with my Dad to his house to help sort out his belongings.

We found a hand-written recipe for a 12 vegetable stew with a note saying how pleased he was to make a stew with so many veg in it. My Dad said he'd like to make a stew with 13 vegetables in it to keep it going. As far as I know he never did.

But guess what, I've done it. I've made a stew with not only 13 veg BUT 15 vegetables in it.


It was a bit weird to be honest. Maybe the celeriac gave it an unknown, strange flavour. Who knows? It had these vegetables in it:

1 - Carrot
2 - Potato
3 - Sweet potato
4 - Onion
5 - Parsnip
6 - Butternut squash
7 - Swede
8 - Leek
9 - Celery
10 - Celeriac
11 - Beetroot
12 - Turnip
13 - Aubergine
14 - Garlic
15 - Courgette

Anyway, it's a good start to my second attempt at eating more vegetables.


Remember Sylvester from the Tweetie Pie cartoons? I never knew what that word in his catchphrase meant until recently when I found out Succotash is a vegetable dish in America. So I had to try it.


Green Bean Succotash Recipe

It's a nice mixed veg side that goes with any meat. But really you could just eat it for a meal too. I liked it.


Next, I wanted to find a new way of eating Brussels sprouts. JD and I really like them but we only seem to eat them at Christmas. I found a recipe for maple syrup roasted sprouts & sweet potatoes and changed it a bit to suit us.


Cube up some sweet potatoes and halve some sprouts. Mix together maple syrup, oil, salt and pepper then pour it over the veggies. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until starting to blacken a bit.


This was delicious, sprouts are great roasted. The maple syrup gave everything a sweet stickiness that went especially well with the sweet potatoes. Yum!

Watch this space for either more vegetable recipes or a post complaining that we don't eat enough veggies next year!

1 comment:

  1. Brussel sprouts, trimmed & halved, laid flat in a pan with walnuts and garlic butter...! Leave it covered, on a low heat, for about 15 minutes. Pretty fucking good. :)

    ReplyDelete

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button