Friday, February 23, 2018

Emma's Exercise Experiments - Yoga




Another exercise, another Groupon. This time 5 classes at my local yoga studio Yoga Zen for £15. I've dabbled a bit in yoga at home using the Wii Fit and Youtube videos but never attended a proper class so I'm looking forward to trying it. I'm also incredibly anxious as this is my first instructor led class in years. I feel worried that I won't be able to keep up.

I needn't have worried, I just finished my 5th and final class and it's been a really great experience.

From the minute I walked in everyone was friendly and encouraging. Aina, the instructor, was very welcoming and several times told me not to worry if a pose was too difficult. I feel I have that attitude in exercise already, I don't push myself too much and I'm kind to my body. It was nice to be reminded of it in this situation because I had been worrying about appearing hopeless!

I survived the first class and after a chat with Aina was ready to try again the following week but in a smaller group closer to my level. This worked out much better for me as there was more time for adjustments and advice. The sessions were always well thought out often with a theme. One week we focused on shoulder work to release stress which was very much appreciated.

Getting help with Cobra pose.


I always walked out of class in a lifted yet relaxed mood. Feeling good about my body because of it's strengths and optimistic that I could feel improvements in my flexibility and core muscles already. The following day I would feel my muscles aching and feel pleased they were getting stronger. I was encouraged further by the other group member, Emma, who had seen improvements in the few months she'd been practising yoga too.

Warrior pose.

The surprise in yoga for me was the mental change I felt after a few weeks of going. Yoga is very much about breathing and focusing on how your body feels. It's grounding and relaxing in a way I've never experienced through exercise. Aina would often read out some words of wisdom as we started. Always something positive and inspiring. Encouraging us to be proud of ourselves or to show ourselves compassion. I really appreciated that she'd taken the time to find interesting passages to read out. I feel I've become more aware of my body away from yoga too. Sometimes at work I'll feel a knot in my neck or shoulders and stretch out to relieve it instead of letting it build up.

I've really enjoyed my yoga experience and felt a bit sad to finish it for now. I've learned that yoga really is for any body. Give it a go!

Me and Aina.
Contact details:

Aina Maj Landvik - yoga@ainamaj.com 07432679385
YogaZen Harogate - https://yogazenharrogate.weebly.com/ 07455 028148

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post Emma. I got a little teary-eyed. Again.
    Are you ok with me sharing it on YogaZEN's Facebook page as well as my own?
    Feel free to say no!
    All the best and hope to see you soon,
    Aina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! Yes, of course, share away :)

      Delete

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button