Saturday, August 2, 2014

Saturday Sandwich 24: The Gatsby

This sandwich is named after Jay Gatsby the character from F. Scott Fitzgerald's book The Great Gatsby. The first person to eat the sandwich described it as "A Gatsby smash" and so a sandwich was born.

Ingredients: mortadella, french fries, vinegar, salt, lettuce, sub rolls and peri peri sauce.


 Fry the french fries and brown the mortadella slices.


 Shred some lettuce and split the sub rolls.


 Season the fries with salt and vinegar.


Pile everything into the sub rolls and top with the peri peri sauce. 


Sadly the picture of the finished sandwiches corrupted as I transferred it to the computer so it's all weird. I did the best my limited skills allowed so it looks like a Frankenstein's monster of a sandwich :D

The sandwich looked fantastic all heaped with the fillings and I really anticipated eating it. I haven't had mortadella before (although JD says it's very similar to bologna and I've had that once). The peri peri sauce was incredibly hot and made my top lip tingle after a few bites. The texture of the sandwich was quite soft and pleasing to eat. The lettuce gave it a bit of crunch. The crisp fries went a bit soggy with the vinegar but the vinegar gave the sandwich a sharp taste that went well with the smooth mortadella. All in all it was a tasty sandwich which was very different from anything I've had before.

Ratings: JD - 3/5 Emma - 4/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button