Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Simple Pleasures




I believe that the best things in life are all the small things. The things that make you feel happy or remind you that you have a good life. Or even something that makes you realise you don't have a terrible life or that you're lucky to be happy and healthy (or alive).

I was reminded of this a few weeks ago. I was in a bad mood, feeling frustrated and angry about a difficult meeting I'd just had. As I was walking down the street on my way back home I was frowning and feeling cross. Then I noticed some fallen autumn leaves swirling about in the wind. I continued walking thinking about how I love the noise they make as they scrape around in the wind, kind of rattling along as they go. Then I got to a low wall where the leaves had blown and accumulated so I kicked my feet through them and watched them scatter away swirling even more in the breeze. I was smiling and feeling happy, my bad mood had dissolved. It felt good.


I hope everyone has simple pleasures that remind them that life is good. I hope everyone can find the time to notice them and to really enjoy how a simple thing can make you feel happy.

This blog has a list of simple pleasures ---> http://zenhabits.net/75-simple-pleasures-to-brighten-your-day/ I enjoyed reading through them even though it includes drinking coffee - bleurgh!

Some of my simple pleasures are things like:

Drinking water that's been chilled in the fridge
Eating chocolate and slowly letting it melt in my mouth
Having my feet in cool water on a hot day
Making food for someone else
Kicking through autumn leaves
Being outside walking about in nature
Looking through old photos of my kids
Checking something off my to-do list

I could go on (because making lists is also a simple pleasure for me) but you get the idea. If you haven't already done so today, enjoy a simple pleasure and feel happy to be alive :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button